[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Thoughts about font implementation

Igor Nekrestyanov Igor.Nekrestyanov at Sun.COM
Tue Aug 12 21:50:29 UTC 2008

>> Quick tests are: run Font2DTest on system that has some really large
>> ttf/ttc files.
>>
>> Write simple test that iterates through all available fonts and draw
>> one
>> or all glyphs to bufferedimage.
>>

> I wrote a simple test program that gets an array of all fonts and gets
> the baseline for all 0-0xffff characters. (Drawing stuff to BI didn't
> work due to NPE, see stacktrace below. BTW, this makes everything, e.g.
> SwingSet2, kindof unstable, is this a known bug?)
>
> 10 runs of this program with my patch take: 4338ms
> 10 runs of this program w/o  my patch take: 4492ms

Can you check process size stats at the end of program?
Guess you can simply exec "ps | grep" and print out result

> One interesting note here: Everytime this program is run, it shows a
> different number of fonts (around 285-302 fonts). On an OpenJDK6 system
> it constantly shows 360 fonts.

This is weird.
I suggest to print out font names and find what is different. Perhaps we
do have bug somethere in 7.
-Dsun.java2d.debugfonts=true may also provide some details on files
being opened.

-igor