[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Status of com.sun.image.codec.jpeg

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Sun Aug 17 02:59:20 UTC 2008

I decided to pursue this a little more,
since our code base contains multiple references
to com.sun.image.codec.jpeg
and I'll probably have to deal with it,
even though I know nothing about image I/O.

I added the following comment to the bug:
====
I'm disappointed by the decision to not support this API indefinitely.
The API was published and never deprecated.
If the javax.imageio API provides equivalent functionality,
it should be possible to modify the implementation of
com.sun.image.jpeg.codec to just act as an adapter shim
over javax.imageio.  If doing this is difficult, then
it will also be difficult for applications to migrate,
making it unreassonable to remove these classes.

Meanwhile, the IcedTea people have created a patch to
re-create this package, but with a stub implementation.
I'm not sure whether the intent is to flesh out the stubs,
or to merely make it possible for legacy applications
that use com.sun.image.codec.jpeg to continue to compile,
but perhaps fail at runtime.  The latter option is not
in the spirit of Java, which is to prefer compile-time failure.

Martin