[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] XOR rendering slow with D3D enabled [6635462]

Dmitri Trembovetski Dmitri.Trembovetski at Sun.COM
Sun Jan 11 22:06:51 UTC 2009

   Hi Clemens,

Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About a year ago I reported a bug about slow XOR rendering when the
> D3D pipeline is enabled, I saw major performance problems with one of
> our applications, it even affects Swing performance when OUTLINE_DRAG
> is specified.
> Its now even in the top-25 bugs, and as far as I have seen it affactes
> quite a large group of legacy applications.
>
> How hard would it be to disable accaleration when XOR rendering is done?

   It should be relatively easy to disable the acceleration for particular
   surface if xor rendering is detected. The surface will be marked as
   unacceleratable and a backup one should be used.

   We tried really hard to remove these kinds of kludges from the
   new code though. It would be a shame to introduce them back in.

   I'm not sure when I will have time to look at it though. May be for
   the top-25 bug they'll let me spend some time on it.

   If only millions of developer changed their apps not to use Xor!

   Dmitri