[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] XOR rendering slow with D3D enabled [6635462]

David Gilbert david.gilbert at object-refinery.com
Thu Jan 15 17:24:51 UTC 2009

Clemens Eisserer wrote:
>>  It hasn't. The default mode is not outline AFAIK. So if you enabled
>>  outline, it's all your fault!
>>
> I disagree here, Swing does provide the outline mode as a public API,
> it worked great in the past and now its broken.
> Its not deprecated, not even mentioned in the documentation that it
> should better not be used.
>
> Even the Swing team has not removed all uses of Xor, so I guess this
> can't be expected from an average external developer.
>
> Thanks, Clemens

I've had this problem drawn to my attention.  I use XOR in JFreeChart
for drawing the zoom rectangle on a ChartPanel, so that it can be
updated without redrawing the underlying chart (which might take too
long if it is a complex chart).  So this is causing a problem for all
the people using JFreeChart in Swing applications (there's quite a few
out there).  I'm testing a workaround for the next release where, if the
ChartPanel is using a buffer for the chart, XOR won't be used.

I agree with Clemens that this worked fine in the past, hasn't been
deprecated, and doesn't work too well now.  If it can't be fixed, I
suggest deprecating the method, or updating the documentation to note
that some implementations won't be able to handle the method efficiently.

Best regards,

Dave Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader