[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Various fixes to pisces stroke widening code

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Wed Jul 21 17:55:20 UTC 2010

Denis Lila wrote:
> Hello Jim.
>
> Thank you very much for taking the time to read through this.
>
>> 169 - if origLen reaches the end of the dash exactly (the "==" case)
>
>     You're right, I should. I can't just replace <= with == though,
> because the results will be the same: in the equal case origLen will
> become 0, and on the next iteration, the (origLen < dash[idx]-phase) will
> be true, and we will do a goTo(x1,y1), which is what we just did in the
> previous iteration (unless dash[idx] is 0, in which case the results
> will be even worse). The best solution to this is to just do a nested
> check for the == case.

Ah, right - because there is no "break" when origLen becomes zero.
Sounds like you're on it.

>> 171 - Aren't x0,y0 stored as subpix values?  You would then be comparing
>> a subpix value to a non-subpix value.  Perhaps if the subpix calls are
>> moved to the top of the function I think this should work OK?
>
>     That's true, they are. This is very puzzling. If a horizontal line is
> added, when the crossings for it are being computed, dxBydy should be NaN, and
> wouldn't an error be thrown when we try to cast to an int in the call to addCrossing?

I'm not sure - I didn't trace it through very far - I just noted that
the values were likely in different "resolutions".

>> 194,197 - Shouldn't these be constants, or based on the SUB_POS_XY?
>
>     I suppose I should make a biasing constant. I don't think they should be based
> on SUB_POS_XY though, because the biasing is done to subpixel coordinates so
> there is no danger that if our supersampling is fine enough the biasing will
> make the coordinates jump over some scan line.

I'm guessing you punted on my "can of worms" suggestion then.  ;-)

>> 216 - if you save the sx0,sy0 before subpix'ing them then you don't have
>> to "unsubpix" them here.  (Though you still need the subpix sy0 for line
>> 209 - or you could just call subpix on it for that line and at least
>> you'd save 1 call to sub/unsub).
>
>     Ok. I'll just save subpixed and unsubpixed versions of sx0, sy0. That should
> eliminate all sx0,sy0 related calls to tosubpix and topix except in moveTo.

and lineTo.  You may only need 3 of those values, though, if I remember
my code reading well enough.

>> 256,264 - casting to int is problematic.  It truncates towards 0 which
>> means negatives are ceil'd and positives are floor'd.  It would be best
>> to use floor here instead.  On the other hand, if negative numbers are
>> always "off the left side of the drawable" then this is moot.
>
>     That's why I left it at int casting. Do you still think I should change it
> to floor?

If you mean floor, I think it best to use floor.  Unless you can prove
that negatives aren't really an issue and that the strange truncation on
them won't be numerically a problem - but I don't think it is worth it
for this code.

> Speaking of which, is there a good way to edit and build openJDK from eclipse?
> Then this sort of embarrassing error could be avoided (including the printStats() call).

I don't use Eclipse, sorry.  :-(

>     As for Arrays.newSize()... I can't find it here:
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17409_01/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Arrays.html
> Is this a new function added in 7?

Sorry, make that Arrays.copyOf(..., newSize).  I tried to type the name
from memory and got it wrong.

>> 721 - Arrays.sort()
>
>     I thought about using this, but I did some measurements, and it turns out that
> Arrays.sort() is a bit slower if the portion of the array being sorted has fewer
> than about 70 elements.

I wonder what the typical number of elements is.  Is this sorting
crossings per line?  Then simple primitives like circles should only
have 2 per line, right?  Is it worth testing for really small numbers of
elements (much lower than 70) and doing a manual sort?  Or am I
misunderstanding what is being sorted there?

>> How comfortable do you feel with that conversion?
>
> I'll try to do it and include it in a new patch along with, hopefully, a better way
> to iterate through strips, and especially crossings. Right now all the iteration
> state is saved in global variables. This is... not good. I spent far too much time last
> week on bugs caused by this sort of thing. Ideally, any members that can't be put at
> the top of a class (like our edge and crossing data) should be put in classes of their own.

That sounds good, but also consider doing it in separate stages to
reduce churn in the code reviewing (and you then have revs to go back
and test which stage caused a probem if we find a bug later):

- first get all on floats
- then change strip management
- then change to open coordinate intervals
- (or vice versa)

> Do you have any ideas about how to iterate through edges in a strip without going through
> every edge? I was thinking of maybe using some sort of tree to split the drawing surface,
> but I haven't given it much thought.

If you look for something like the native code for
sun/java2d/pipe/ShapeSpanIterator.c you will see the way I typically
like to do edge setup and enumeration.

That code uses the "half open interval" approach for both X and Y intervals.

I then sort the edge list by "leading Y" and then move through the edges
using the following manner (kind of like an inch worm eating the edges,
maintaining a pointer to the beginning and end of an "active list" of
edges that are in play at any given time by virtue of having their Y
range intersect the current sampling Y).  Note that I use an array of
edges and then a parallel array of pointers into the edges so that I can
sort just the pointers and avoid moving tons of edge data around.  Also,
later when I eliminate edges from the active list I just move their
pointers into and out of view rather than having to copy the edge data.
  It is harder to do an array of pointers in Java, though - perhaps an
array of indices?  Here is some basic pseudocode:

start with lo and hi pointing at index 0 in edge list.
until edge list is exhausted {
     process edges between lo and hi (empty on first pass)
     scan from hi to lo and toss any edges that are exhausted
         (compacting remaining pointers towards hi)
     keep incrementing hi to accept any new edges coming into play
     process edges between lo and hi to increment to the next Y
         (note that new edges from previous step may not
          need any processing in this stage if their starting
          Y equals the next Y to be sampled)
}

Gradually lo and hi make their way through the list.  The edges above hi
are always sorted in order of when they may come into play as we move
downward in Y.  The edges between lo and hi are also usually kept sorted
by their current X so that the stage that processes them into spans can
just run through them.  The edges below lo are usually random garbage
because no care was taken during the "pruning" step to worry about what
happens to the pointer table down there as lo is incremented (the
algorithm only ever looks up the array of pointers).

I hope that helps...

			...jim