[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] How to resolve image tearing

ximalaya ims3g at 126.com
Tue Apr 12 14:49:15 UTC 2011

Hi there,
We are implementing a swing application which is required to display images of moving object at about 30 fps(frames per second).  But now we are facing image tearing problem(parts of multiple frames displayed on the screen at the same time).  Does anyone know the solution to resolve it in Java?

We found there is already an opened bug 6378181 for this issue,  however it is still in state "Accepted". Can 2D developers/experts share the fix plan/dev roadmap for this bug?
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6378181

>From the bug report,  it is said vsync is required to fix image tearing. Before 6378181 is closed, at current stage, is there a way to support vsync?

We've tried JOGL(java over openGL, support vsync, GLCanvas is used), it can fix image tearing issue. Howerver, there is issues to mix lightweight(text as overlay on the image) and heavyweight(GLCanvas) components. Latest openJDK ! 6/7 was used in our test. We have HW and LW componets as following,
1) A  HW component GLCanvas(JOGL class, subclass of Canvas), which contains an image.
2) LW component JComponent, which is non-opaque and contains some texts.
We expect the texts can be shown over the image, while we could only see either the image or texts: With openJDK 1.6.0_18, we could see the image, while the text is invisible. With latest openJDK6/7, we only see the texts, the image is invisible(only a black area shown).

BTW, we don't want  full-screen mode application.

See more information regarding tearing here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

Thanks and Best Regards,
Lin