[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFC: Fix for 7036754

Denis Lila dlila at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 15:05:31 UTC 2011

> For parallel quads, is there a relationship between any of the
> following
> points that could be exploited?
>
> original control point
> left_curve and right_curve control points
> center point on the original (and rt and lt) curve
> perpendicular of center point on the curve(s)
> center of line between endpoints

Hm. It turns out that if the parallel versions of the control
lines are extended to infinity, their intersections form a
rhombus whose centre is the second control point (i.e. of the
centre curve). The control points we're trying to compute are
two vertices of the rhombus that lie on the same diagonal. An
equation for this diagonal would be c2 + t*( (c3-c2)/||c3-c2|| + (c1-c2)/||c1-c2|| )
where c1, c2, c3 are the control points of the centre curve.

To compute the points we want we would need to know their distance
from c2.

Well, thanks for getting me thinking about this. This line of
thinking seems promising.
I'll try to code it up.

Regards,
Denis.