[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] fixing OpenJDK font rendering

Zhongcheng Lao johnsonlaucn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 07:26:41 UTC 2011

Hi, Phil

Thanks for the reply.

I do understand Java specification always assumes 72dpi.
The work to match with desktop setting is left to L&F to scale the pt
size to a proper value
when a system L&F like GTK+ is used.

As we all know, to rasterize a glyph,
a font rendering library always needs to know both the point size and
the DPI setting for the calculating the actual pixel boundary.
It is always a good behavior to do this maths in the rendering level
without any presumption on DPI,
even when it's a fixed value in the specification.
That's exactly why I would like to introduce a DPI setting or getting
method in FontScaler.

Doing this in FontScaler also makes it possible for a FontScaler to
know the original information about the glyph -
the glyph looks much bigger because the DPI has a larger value,
not because we're asked a larger pt size.
The FontScaler can apply a different hinting on a particular DPI or pt
size if it is willing to do that.
This is very important for FontConfig to select a best-matched
configuration for the font
which is common on *nix desktop.

Without knowing this, only L&F knows about why the glyph is transformed,
and the font size passing to FontScaler may be the scaled one when the
L&F applies its own DPI value as GTK+ L&F.
I did some tests on my Ubuntu 11.04,
which is using the default 96dpi for Gnome, with Ubuntu 11 as the
default application font.
The FontScaler received a scaled 14.66 (or 15) pt (yes, 11/72*96)
which would definitely cause the wrong font setting be selected out,
as the FontConfig may depend on the pt size not pixel size.

I also found that font created by "new Font("Consolas", Font.PLAIN,
11)" didn't apply system DPI setting
for both OpenJDK and Oracle JDK (1.6.0_26),
whch really confuses users and apps since no one knows
whether a font might be scaled or how it get scaled except the L&F.
We may need to scale the fonts that are not scaled by the L&F by ourselves
to make them display in the same size.
I don't think it is natural design -
we must be very careful all over the places as we should consider
whether the DPI would apply.
And it really differs to the concepts on the same native platform.

I know nothing detali about the proprietary T2KFontScaler and T2K library.
I may be wrong,
but I guess simply introducing a DPI value to FontScaler would not
affect anything
since it is the same as moving the scaling codes from L&F down to FontScaler.
There may be some minor compability issues come out if the application
scaled fonts by its own
since now they all get scaled in a certain L&F.

I will improve the codes in SunToolkit later.
I really hope this RFE could get approved.

-Johnson