[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] fixing OpenJDK font rendering

Aekold Helbrass helbrass at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 13:35:10 UTC 2011

Hi All!

I am working on fixing openjdk font rendering on linux (because
currently it's just horrible!), and I've done working
proof-of-concept: https://github.com/Helbrass/openjdk-fontfix

So now I would like to move from dirty workaround to proper clean and
working implementation. And I have some questions about code that
surrounds font rendering and ideas behind that code.

First question is: FreetypeFontScaler.createScalerContext() is not
doing anything, just acting as bridge, and all logic is in
FileFontStrike constructor. And I have to pass DPI to
createScalerContext(). Should I change FileFontStrike and pass DPI to
any scaler implementation or make
FreetypeFontScaler.createScalerContext() read DPI itself because
T2KFontScaler doesn't need DPI or can read it itself?

Thanx!