[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] fixing OpenJDK font rendering

Aekold Helbrass helbrass at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 19:33:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Phil Race <philip.race at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 9/29/2011 11:33 AM, Aekold Helbrass wrote:
>>
>> So... You really mean that swing may not respect desktop font
>> rendering settings and must keep rendering fonts with the same
>> uglyness forever, even in native look and feels? No wonder swing is so
>> dead...
>
> I don't think you are reading what I wrote. The native GTK  L&F *does* do
> that  ..
> I even pointed you to the source code that handles it.

I am reading, also I checked PangoFonts class. It is just changing
size of font instead of setting up proper freetype rendering. Because
of this freetype first of all will not be able to apply proper
subpixel rendering, because it has to know real number of pixels,
calculated from DPI and pt size of font, not just 72 dpi and increased
size. Second, hinting algorythms of freetype will not work either,
because hinting depends on pixel grid so needs exact pixel sizes too.
Please see screenshot in attachment, showing that even GTK look and
feel rendering is different from real GTK app (gedit in the
background).

> And "size difference" != "ugliness"

With that I can fully agree, but I have few points here too. First of
all, swing fonts are still ugly as you can see on screenshots I've
sent. Also, swing is not respecting desktop properties, so in any
modern linux desktop environment all apps will look similar (they
respect fontconfig settings, written by user himself or distribution
developers) but swing will be different, and not in a good way.

Being fan of netbeans and swing architecture I wanted to see pretty
fonts and to get rid of those "wow your netbeans is ugly, why don't
you switch to eclipse?", and with my dirty hack I almost did, with few
problems when components are requesting fonts with greyscale or mono
rendering. So as you can see I am not very happy that swing is doomed
because it has to render fonts in some strange manner instead of
respecting system and user settings and getting 100% similar glyphs.
It's a pity swing is so powerful and with really great design, but
nothing is written in swing but few developer tools and maybe few
corporate apps based on netbeans platform. And as for me this visual
difference between swing and native apps is not the last reason for
this.