[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [8] Request for review: 8004859 Graphics.getClipBounds/getClip return difference nonequivalent bounds, depending from transform.

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Thu Dec 20 23:26:28 UTC 2012

Hi, Jim.
21.12.2012 1:42, Jim Graham wrote:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> Avoiding the transform only works if they read it back in the same
> coordinate system that they set it.  It will fail if they do:
>
>     setClip or clip(...);
>     scale(5, 5);
>     getClip();
>
> So, given that we have to deal with the transform/untransform issues
> anyway then a user-space clip caching solution isn't going to solve
> the immediate problem for all cases.
Yes, right, second solution does not work in this case.

> I'd have to look closely at the code to know for sure, but I imagine
> that it would be easy enough to ensure that the [un]transform methods
> always turn a rectangle with 0 dimensions into another rectangle with
> 0 dimensions (whether one or both are 0).
Well, I expect that solution from the webrev does this, isn't it?
Approach is simple if we have correct clip from the user, we always get
correct clip after transformation, and vice versa.
> The setFFD normalization only hurts us when we have negative
> dimensions, but it should be OK with 0 dimensions, no?  So, if we
> normalize negative dimensions to 0 going in then it might be safe?
Do you mean just change Rectangle(0,0,-100,-100) to (100,100,0,0)? How
we can revert back this operation?

--
Best regards, Sergey.