[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Fix proposal for UnixPrintServiceLookup not returning consistent values

Patrick Reinhart patrick at reini.net
Tue Apr 16 12:15:28 UTC 2013

Hi there,

We recently found the problem in the Linux OpenJDK that the resulting PrintService implementations returned by PrintServiceLookup.lookupPrintServices(DocFlavor, AttributeSet) does not consistently return equal results.

Printer setup:
We got 2 printers A and B, where A is also the default printer.

If we lookup all printer services not passing any values to lookupPrintServices() we get all of type IPPPrintService. Doing the same using a PrinterName attribute we get UnixPrintService for the non default printer, which in our case does not support any paper trays...

I was able to track down the problem within the UnixPrintServiceLookup class. I would propose to loop over all print services returned by the method getPrintServices() internally to lookup the correct printer if the default printer does not match in the first place.

Cheers Patrick