[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [8] Request for review: 8004859 Graphics.getClipBounds/getClip return difference nonequivalent bounds, depending from transform.

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Mon Apr 22 21:11:14 UTC 2013

I think if empty (un)transforms to something else that is also
classified as empty naturally without having to special case it or test
it then returning the "transformed empty thing" is a fine return value.

But, if it comes down to "Eeek, it was empty so I need to calculate a
specifically similar empty thing to return" then I feel that the test
should just result in "return new Rectangle()".  No use pulling hair out
to make a "more useful non-answer" unless it falls out of the
calculations for free - as in "unless it avoids even having to check for
the exceptional condition in the first place".  In the cases I reviewed
I seem to recall that we were doing the tests anyway (or we were doing
equally complex tests in order to normalize the answer even if we never
explicitly tested for "isEmpty()") so it would make the code much less
problematic to just weed the empty answers out early.

As far as "are any Developers expecting a usefully non-degenerate empty
answer" then I don't think so...

			...jim