[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [8] Request for review: 8004859 Graphics.getClipBounds/getClip return difference nonequivalent bounds, depending from transform.

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Mon Jan 14 19:44:37 UTC 2013

Hi Jim.
03.01.2013 5:10, Jim Graham wrote:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> I guess my primary goal in maintaining this code is to try to find the
> simplest and most directed fix unless a rewrite is in order - i.e.
> simply normalizing incoming empty clips so that we end up in a stable
> "clip is empty" state would be my preference, but perhaps the proposed
> fix isn't so complicated that I need to worry about that.
Can you please review the updated version of the fix:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8004859/webrev.02

> I've looked deeper into the various Rectangle methods and found lots
> of little issues with the way that the various bounds methods on
> Rectangle/Rectangle2D are implemented that complicate all of this.  I
> think a larger rewrite of the clip maintenance code is likely in order
> at some point.  In particular, while your changes have shifted from
> one set of problematic bounds-setting code to another and may have
> solved some test case we are currently looking at, I'm not convinced
> that other bugs, or perhaps even just as many different bugs, are not
> waiting to bite us with the new code.  :(
Yes some cases in methods are strange. Especially considering that they
in one hierarchy.

> In the meantime, with respect to the new method you've added, I'd like
> to see the following changes:
>
> - The method has nothing really to do with "normalizing a matrix" and
> is probably misled by the fact that the "matrix" variable in the
> calling method should never have been called "matrix" in the first
> place since it is really just a list of coordinates.  I'd suggest a
> name better suited to its purpose, like "fixRectangleOrientation" or
> "checkEmptyRectangle".
done

> - For performance - rather than call signum 4 times, why not use more
> direct tests like:
>
>     if ((clip.getWidth() > 0) != (m[2] - m[0] > 0))
>     // i.e. we only care if their "non-emptiness" is different
> or:
>     if (clip.getWidth() * (m[2] - m[0]) < 0)
>     // i.e. we only care if their non-zero size is flipped
done

> - I still think that we don't owe anybody any need to preserve the
> size of the empty clip so the adjustments for cases that fail the
> above tests could simply be "m[2] = m[0]" and thus we get an empty
> result.  Why did you feel that we need to maintain the sizes of empty
> rectangles?  Was it just JCK test failures?
Well I have only one reason to do it: If the user's code works with
non-scaled Graphics, which is default, and it will fail when we change
internal type of the graphics  -> That's a problem. This is directly
related to the retina support, when in general nothing should be changed
for the existing applications.

--
Best regards, Sergey.