[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <AWT Dev> [8] Review request for 8007295: Reduce number of warnings in awt classes

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Sat Mar 23 01:34:25 UTC 2013

This bug has probably already been committed, but I am wondering if
there was a reason why the generics identifiers were left as "Object"
rather than using the known key and value types?

For example, RenderingHints.Key.identityMap should really be
     HashMap<Key, WeakReference<Key>>

RenderingHints.hintmap should also probably be
     HashMap<Key, Object>
but it looks like the API unfortunately had "Object" all over it with
explicit casts to Key.  Still, just because the public API has some type
weaknesses, isn't it worthwhile to have our implementation be strongly
typed?

Or is there a general "If you fix warnings by adding generics
identifiers you should use the weakest generic types" rule in our
warning-fixing tactics?

			...jim