[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] request for review: 9006475: xrender: improve performance of small fillRect operations

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 11:36:17 UTC 2013

Hi,

Please review my patch for 9006475 at:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ceisserer/9006475/webrev.00/

Before this patch we were calling the native method
XRenderRectanglesNative() even in the case that there was only single
rectangle to be rendered (which is the case for Graphics.fillRect). As
XRenderRectanglesNative() uses GetPrimitiveArrayCritical, this caused high
overhead for small fillRect() oerations.

With this patch we call renderRectangle instead, which passes the
reactangle's coordinates down using JNI function parameters. On my private
Laptop this improved throughput of 1x1 fillRect calls by a factor of 3.

Thanks, Clemens