[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: Allow using a system-installed lcms2

Omair Majid omajid at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 14:52:17 UTC 2014

* Magnus Ihse Bursie <magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com> [2014-02-21 08:21]:
> On 2014-02-20 23:40, Omair Majid wrote:
> >1. The sources for the bundled library are contained next to
> >OpenJDK-specific sources. This is not true for the bundled copies of
> >zlib, libpng and giflib. On the other hand, the jpeg code in OpenJDK
> >also mixes OpenJDK-specific code with bundled libjpeg code.  To make it
> >easier to see (and compile) only non-lcms2 code, I moved the
> >lcms2-specific code into a separate directory. There are no code changes
> >there.
> The only OpenJDK-specific file here is LCMS.c, right?

Yes, that's the only one I could identify.

> >I made changes which made sense to me, but I am not sure how this fits
> >in with existing conventions. Perhaps people here have suggestions on
> >how to make this less invasive and still achieve the goal while keep
> >things separate and distinct?
>
> I think it makes sense in separating our own code and an imported library.

Just throwing an idea out there, but has anyone considered moving all
bundled code to a separate location? As in the `jdk` repo would have a
`libs` or `bundled-libs` directory with one directory for each project
with pristine upstream source (or a fork of upstream, as appropriate).

> I think the "j2" convention is reasonable.
> I think the --with-lcms option is reasonable.
>
> So, the parts seems to work out fine. Still there's something
> bothering me with this fix, that I can't really put my finger on.
> Let's hear what the 2D people are saying. If they don't object, I
> won't object.

Cool. But if you do have any concerns, please do share them. Even if the
current patch is okay, I think everyone would like to see a future patch
that is even better :)

> But I like the way you're working on cleaning up our relationship to
> our bundled libraries!

Thanks. I am happy to find out that such patches are desired in OpenJDK!
My original motivation was distributions asking to unbundle libraries.
It's nice to see that everyone benefits from this :)

Cheers,
Omair

--
PGP Key: 66484681 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = F072 555B 0A17 3957 4E95  0056 F286 F14F 6648 4681