[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <AWT Dev> [9] Review Request: JDK-8029455 JLightweightFrame: support scaled painting

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Thu Jan 30 22:32:36 UTC 2014

Hi Anton,

I think I'm getting a little lost in all of the details that I'm only on
the periphery of, but it sounds like if that had been the original
performance we had seen then we might not have gone down the path of
using/forcing SW/BufferedImage?

To be clear, this is embedding a Swing hierarchy into an FX scene?

I forget, is FX forced into SW mode when this is used?  Or are we
reading out the pixels in Swing only to put them back into a texture
when they get to FX?

I think I mentioned the RSL (Resource Sharing Layer) that Dmitri and
Chris had created which allowed external libraries to get at the texture
IDs used by Java2D hw pipes, and at one time we were using that to run
FX hw acceleration, but I think once we went with our own toolkit
(Glass), we had to own our own contexts and then I think RSL broke.  I
wonder if we can reintroduce something similar here, or are we using
completely different (and incompatible) contexts now between FX and J2D?

			...jim