[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <i18n dev> [9] RFR: 8038092: Re-examine Bidi reflective dependency on java.awt.font

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Mon Jul 7 23:06:30 UTC 2014

This took some getting my head around.
First I had to find the first set of changes that broke the static
dependency :-

This in JDK 7 :-

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/i18n-dev/2009-November/000154.html

changeset:   1869:eb8b08775b82
user:        alanb
date:        Thu Nov 12 11:20:51 2009 +0000
summary:     6898124: Bidi should not require AWT to be present

and this in JDK 8 :-
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/i18n-dev/2011-March/000343.html
changeset:   3889:646047d77db9
parent:      3884:19567f9d6962
user:        alanb
date:        Wed Mar 30 00:59:07 2011 +0100
summary:     7026507: Bidi initialization fails if AWT not present

The premise of the 'faking' there seems to be that unless you have the
client
java.awt.font package present, you can't have passed in these attributes to
begin with, so failing to 'match' them is all that is needed to do the
right thing.

I am not sure that from here :-
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alanb/7026507/webrev/src/share/classes/sun/text/bidi/BidiBase.java.sdiff.html

static final Boolean RUN_DIRECTION_LTR = (clazz == null) ?
3469             Boolean.FALSE : (Boolean)getStaticField(clazz, "RUN_DIRECTION_LTR"

is really what you'd want - ie default to RTL text if you can't find the class

per the code here

  paraLvl = (runDirection.equals(TextAttributeConstants.RUN_DIRECTION_LTR)) ?
2700                         (byte)Bidi.DIRECTION_LEFT_TO_RIGHT : (byte)Bidi.DIRECTION_RIGH

although it doesn't matter since  runDirection  will always be null.
Still line 3469 should be re-examined.

As for the current change it has the same effect as far as I can tell, and
I am supposing it is needed since even public classes in the client
module are not available to the core module, even by reflection
but the trick of having the client code 'install' the accessors in
the core module gets around this ..

-phil.