[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <AWT Dev> [9] Review request for 8029339 Custom MultiResolution image support on HiDPI displays

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Thu Mar 20 23:50:29 UTC 2014

Hi Alexandr,

SG2D leaks its internal transform to the implementation.  A clone must
be created to prevent breaking encapsulation of graphics state.  The
clone raises the cost of calling the interface so we need to evaluate
how important it is to have the transform be included in the interface.

In the docs for the getRV() method you say that the width and height are
of the destination drawing surface.  I think you mean the width and
height of the image, right?  The "destination drawing surface" would be
the window or screen you are rendering onto.

Given the trickiness of calculating the true destination size of the
image, perhaps we should leave the old code to do that in the
SG2D.getIR() method and pass the destination size to the choosing method
instead of the transform?  That would eliminate the need to clone the
transform.

The class docs for the interface kind of imply that one would/should use
the w,h as the deciding factor, but that is just one strategy.  It's a
subtle distinction, so I'll try to give some more specific wording once
we nail down the semantics.  The pseudo-code could also clean up things
like providing an immutable List.

I'm a little disturbed by someone subclassing BufImg to implement this
interface.  It goes against my perspective of a BufImg being a concrete
bag of one set of pixels.  Let me see if I understand the constraints here:

- We want TK images on Mac to advertise @2x variants this way?
- We want users to be able to create their own bag of images as well?
- Do we need users to be able to do that on a BufferedImage?
- Do we need users to be able to add an image variant to an existing image?

If it is just the first 2 bullet items above, then what about:

public class java.awt.image.MultiResolutionImage extends java.awt.Image {
     public Image getRV(); // Same as in your interface
     public List<Image> getVariants();  // Same as the i/f
}

Then we provide one of these from TK.get/createImage() when the platform
detects @2x, or Win8-style variants.

For custom images we provide TK.createMRImage(lambda getRV, Image
variants...) and TK.createMRImage(Image variants...);

Since the get<List> method is just bookkeeping, I don't see them needing
to override it, so the getRV() method is really the only thing they
might want to override, and we can tie into the new Lambda capabilities
by making a single-method interface for it that they supply in a factory
method.

I realize that the interface you created is more fundamentally OO, but
the Image class has always been special in this regard in the AWT
ecosystem (in so far as we do not support someone implementing their own
Image subclass even though it is technically possible).  Because of this
special nature of Image, we end up with the situation that if someone
were given a need to create a subclass of Image, then they would turn to
BufImg as their superclass even though BufImg is essentially an
implementation-specific leaf node on the Image class hierarchy.  This
approach with a factory method to create an internal subclass of the new
MRI class mirrors the existing cases of Image objects that come from
factories as well.

Thoughts?

			...jim