[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Openjdk java2d rasterizer JEP for pisces (marlin) enhancements ?

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Fri Feb 20 00:08:42 UTC 2015

On 2/19/2015 8:06 AM, Roman Kennke wrote:
> The impact of including it in OpenJDK seems to be fairly small: it is an
> implementation of an existing SPI, and there's no need to make it the
> *default*  right away. It can be included and live side-by-side and
> require some runtime flag to get it enabled. And when enough testing has
> been done, eventually switched to default.

Note that the "SPI" is there not any more since its now a Class.forName
but a while ago I assured Laurent that this would still work for him - at
least until jigsaw arrives which was also noted at the time.

Is this really a side-by-side living with each other proposal ?
A previous exchange characterised it as "merging" which is a wholly
more risky proposition:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/2d-dev/2014-May/004609.html
Can it be structured as "sun.java2d.marlin.MarlinRenderingEngine"
and leave existing pisces well alone for now ?
I don't think I've ever seen a webrev against openjdk (ready to be
corrected if wrong
but I can't find one in my email) and definitely not one that looked
like that.

Does it alter any behaviours or touch any code that does not involve
the marlin code path ?

If there was initially zero impact on any production code I can see that
being
more acceptable but I don't understand why its a problem to demonstrate
this by putting it in an OpenJDK Project sandbox and thereby be something
we can build so that JCK and SQE could look at it first - pisces is
after all
part of the RI used to pass TCK, and sometimes there's a performance
vs spec. adherence trade off in what we do.