[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8035302: Eliminate dependency on sun.nio.cs from AWT and Motif code

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Thu May 28 09:10:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 27/05/2015 18:14, Phil Race wrote:
>>
>> Hi Volker,
>>
>> Sorry for breaking AIX but I think it may be more related to these bugs
>>
>> 8035302 then takes advantage of these but did not create/update
>> the per-platform configuration. I think the variance is
>> in part about putting into base only what has to be there
>> to support boot-strapping and known dependencies whilst
>> otherwise keeping base as small as possible.
>
> Right, and I assume for AIX that the Volker will need to identify the
> charsets needed to start-up in the environments where the AIX port is
> supported. This is what the stdcs-* files are about and why some charsets
> are generated to sun.nio.cs on some platforms and sun.nio.cs.ext on others.

Yes, but as I wrote, there is a hard dependency from some of the
sun.font classes to some non-standard charsets:

sun.font.X11GB2312 -> sun.nio.cs.EUC_CN
sun.font.X11GBK -> sun.nio.cs.GBK
sun.font.X11KSC5601 -> sun.nio.cs.EUC_KR

If I decide that I don't want to put EUC_CN in the set of standard
charsets on a specific OS, I won't be able to build. I have opened
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8081332 for this issue and
have an easy fix out for review which just adds the corresponding
stdcs-aix file on AIX.

But still I think it is bad that compiling the sun.font.* package
which is part of the 'java.desktop' module requires the manual
maintenance of an OS-dependent 'stdcs-<os>' file. I think it would be
much better if either all the charsets referenced by 'sun.font.*' are
in the standard charset by default or the other way round if we only
reference standard charsets from 'sun.font.*'.

Regards,
Volker