[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] Review request for 8137571 Linux HiDPI Graphics support

Alexander Scherbatiy alexandr.scherbatiy at oracle.com
Tue Nov 10 13:07:27 UTC 2015

On 11/7/2015 3:56 AM, Jim Graham wrote:
> It looks like the only remaining issues are:
>
> - Should we scale the origin of the screens so that they remain adjacent?

     The Toolkit defines only methods that allows to get size of the the
primary screen and screen insets which are rescaled in the provided fix.
     The XGraphicsConfiguration bounds are also rescaled.

> Questions that remain and may end up getting handled under followon bugs:
>
> - We should really think through rounding issues better in scaleDown()
> - We need to see if there can be a more accurate way to handle
> applyShape(Region) at the device scale.
> - DPI_SCALE needs to be handled eventually, don't let it fall through
> the cracks
> - Other Linux DPI attributes should be handled, hopefully there is a
> bug filed for that
>
> Some of those could be simply left for feedback from developers, but
> what is our plan to get our developers to do a decent amount of
> testing with their applications to let us know if our choices were fine?
>
> More comments inline below:
>
> On 11/6/15 2:00 AM, Alexander Scherbatiy wrote:
>>
>>   Could you review the updated fix:
>>     http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alexsch/8137571/webrev.03/
>>
>>    - pixbuf is freed in the awt_Robot.c
>>    - screenWidth/Height is rescaled in the XToolkit.initScreenSize()
>> method
>
> Is there also a position that needs to be adjusted?  Is the convention
> that all screens should be directly adjacent, or can they float with
> gaps between them?

    The toolkit does not provide method to get the primary screen position.
    I thought about adjusting screens with different scaling but it
looks like it is an additional task which can be handled in a separated
bug.

>>    See more comments inline:

>>        Could you give more details on this?
>>        For example, we create a frame which is twice bigger than the
>> original one for the scale 2.
>>        For  this case it needs to scale the shape twice. The lox, loy,
>> hix, hiy values are calculated correctly.
>>        The native function XShapeCombineRectangles is used to draw the
>> final shape for the given window.
>
> I suppose it may be architecturally difficult to do at this point, but
> ideally a Region should be a create-only structure that is produced at
> the desired device coordinate system and scaling.  It might be
> necessary to perform integer translates on it as windows are moved
> around the screen from one integer location to another, but it should
> never be scaled.  The fact that there is a method that can scale a
> region is basically an admission that we have not always done the
> right thing with respect to creating regions at device resolution.
>
> It looks like this may be the path of least resistance currently, but
> if we can improve the architecture to allow the Region to maintain
> full device resolution and not require any scaling that would be far
> better.

    I see now.

>>         I changed this to use scaleDown(x, scale) method from the
>> XlibUtil.
>>         However, I am not sure about rounding. Only integer scale values
>> can be used. In this case x / 2 (3, 4, ...) returns a rounding to the
>> smallest value
>>         which is what we probably need.
>
> The fact that only integer scaling values can be used only makes
> scaling up easier.  It still begs the question of what value to report
> when we end up with X.5 or X.75 - should that be X or X+1?
>
> Why is truncation/rounding down what we need?  Where is the analysis
> of how application behavior will be affected by rounding down vs.
> rounding up or rounding evenly?
>
> Note that in FX we have a number of different coordinate snapping
> functions that perform different rounding operations.  Some are for
> sizes of things, some are for locations, and some are for calculating
> distributed distances during layout.

     It could be better to move the question about location, sizes and
distances scaling to a separate bug. The same question I also have for
the Windows HiDPI Graphics support.

   Thanks,
   Alexandr.