[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR(XXS): 8170954: non-ASCII characters in lcms and harfbuzz break Windows builds on some locales

David Buck david.buck at oracle.com
Fri Dec 9 05:00:15 UTC 2016

Hi!

Phil, Thank you for the review!

 > The only question I had is that US English is
 > the only supported build environment and
 > RE builds will always use that  .. everything else is "good luck",
 > Unless something changed to affect that.

As I mentioned in the bug, we don't currently document the requirement
to build on US English locale in any external resource that I could
find. We may need to add something in the future, most likely on the
official build platforms page [0]..

But even if we do decide not to "support" building on non-English
locales in any official capacity, this "fix" is simple and safe enough
that I strongly believe that we should still do it to make participating
in OpenJDK easier for non-English Windows users.

Cheers,
-Buck

[0] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/Build/Supported+Build+Platforms