[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] Review-request for 6353518: Creation of a WritableRaster with a custom DataBuffer causes erroneous Exception

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Tue Mar 29 21:37:18 UTC 2016

Raster.java, line 742: This branch of the switch statement instantiates
a SWR which doesn't have a specific buffer type.  It could be replaced
with just "break;" and let the code after the switch create the raster
(it can't be deleted from the switch statement because the default would
throw an exception, but it could just "break;" on that dataType).  At a
minimum, though, it didn't need the instanceof or cast that was added
since it will just fall through to exactly the same code anyway.

Raster.java, line 894: Why was the test for dataType removed from this
if statement?

Raster.java: line 980: Something to file as a potential bug for future
work.  The test for getSampleSize(0) in this method is much more
permissive than the test for bitsPerPixel in createPackedRaster just
above this method.  Both determine whether to return a BytePackedRaster
so they should probably agree.

Raster.java, line 986: Something to file as a potential bug for future
work since the fix would have to be verified that it doesn't disrupt the
other parts of this method, but... The set of if statements in this
method never checked for a BandedSampleModel to try to create a
BandedRaster as in createBandedRaster.  On the other hand, no developer
has complained so far (that I know of, but maybe we have an old bug
filed on it that I'm not aware of).

Raster.java: the same comments for createRaster above apply for
createWritableRaster at line 1033.

The following 2 comments are identical for all of the raster types
{
     ByteBandedRaster.java, line 76: This code will throw a
ClassCastException
         now instead of the RasterFormatException that used to be thrown.
         Do we care?  It would be easy enough to add a test to just this
         method (and the similar versions in other files).

     ByteBandedRaster.java, line 668: Extra credit: This cast could be
avoided
         if we make SunWritableRaster employ generics for a strongly
typed DataBuffer.
}

ShortInterleavedRaster - I think the import of DataBuffer can be
eliminated now?

			...jim