[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] JDK-8153732 would it be possible to extend the PrintServiceLookup with a refresh method?

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Wed May 25 20:28:22 UTC 2016

Possible, but should we ?
That is the method that does the refresh once we've received the
notification.
We wanted to avoid applications having to continually call this method
every time
the applications asks for the list because it may be a lengthy operation.
If it were not we probably would have just done that.

So then the app has to figure out a policy on how often to ask for a refresh
and this is what we wanted to avoid.

And given that the reason to call the method is somewhat environmental
it might be tricky to explain why and when to call it given that mostly it
is not necessary.

-phil.