[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] RFR JDK-6601097:Margins are not reset to hardware margins when width/height is 0 or -ve alongwith x, y

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Tue May 31 16:42:41 UTC 2016

Well ... few printers can print on the entire paper. Photo printers are
the ones that can do this. So Paper dimension minus the "hardware margins"
are the maximum imageable width.
And then supposing imageable x/y is some perfectly reasonable value like
1" each
then you've set iw/ih such that even a printer with zero hardware
margins has
an imageable area that goes off the bottom and right off the paper.

More reasonable would be to constrain iw/ih such that they work with the
requested ix/iy - assuming they are also valid.

If all else fails then just using the "default" set of values as if the
application
had not set any values would be better.

-phil.