[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Different rounding applied by ProcessPath and ShapeSpanIterator

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Mon Sep 26 18:55:23 UTC 2016

They do operate differently.  They aren't meant to be mixed and matched.

One thing that may shed some light is the STROKE_CONTROL hint.  If it is sent to Pure then there is no heuristic for how
to rasterize and all rasterizers should agree on how to scan convert shapes.

But, if it is set to another value, then it has some latitude to adjust the path for cleanliness with respect to keeping
line widths from varying depending on position and other consistency anomalies that can occur with a number of small
related paths rendered near each other.  The two mechanisms were written with different goals and by different people to
meet those consistency requirements in different ways.  The operation of one is more useful for a software renderer back
end and the other is more useful for a hardware renderer back end (which was the primary reason for creating
ProcessPath, not necessarily the distinction of how to apply the STROKE_CONTROL hint)...

			...jim