[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR JDK-8184429: Path clipper added in Marlin2D & MarlinFX 0.8.0

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Thu Aug 31 23:37:57 UTC 2017

I had another thought here.

If you have some plan where you can identify incoming paths as "probably benefiting from more aggressive clipping logic"
vs others that are classified as "most likely will have little to no clipping" and you want to avoid the overhead of
having the early-rejection clipping logic on all paths, then a simple tweak to the design of the Renderer would make it
much easier.

Right now Renderer is both a "bag of segments with a scan-line sampling loop" and it is also a PathConsumer2D.  If you
want to insert something ahead of it, it makes logical sense to have that delegating class communicate downstream to the
Renderer via PathConsumer2D.

But, we could remove the PathConsumer2D from Renderer and turn it into just a "bag of segments" that is managed by an
external PathConsumer2D helper class.  Basically, take all of the PC2D methods in Renderer and move them into an
UnclippedFiller class - just cut and paste.  The new class will need a pointer to a Renderer object and it will only
call r.addLine() and r.fooBreakIntoLines*() calls.  It would actually be a very small class since the PC2D interface was
such a tiny portion of what Renderer implemented.  The new helper class will manage all sub-path/moveto/close-path
awareness on its own with the Renderer being unaware of such distinctions.

This should be computationally identical to the Renderer we have now - no new methods are inserted, they are just moved
to a different class.  But by separating out the PC2D methods into a separate class, we have the flexibility to have
different ways for the PC2D chain to interact with the Renderer.

This would let us create an analogous sister class - ClippedFiller - that does the same thing, but adds some early
rejection computations as well.  This is a simpler design than what you are attempting now because its output is only
"segments to add to the bag of segments", not "well-behaved PC2D paths".

But, if there is no easy way to identify paths up front as "we should pre-clip this" or "not" then this isn't really
needed - just add the necessary logic to Renderer instead...

			...jim