[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] RFR JDK-8147002:[macosx] Arabic character cannot be rendered on MacOS X

Dmitry Batrak dmitry.batrak at jetbrains.com
Fri Feb 10 15:59:21 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've tried to build OpenJDK from 'client' repository with the fix, and the
issue is still reproducible for me. Are you fixing it only for Oracle JDK
(including Lucida Sans Regular font), and not for OpenJDK? The problem is
not
that some character cannot be rendered using a particular font, it's that
rendering behaviour doesn't match what 'canDisplay' returns.

If you're interested I can share the way we've fixed this issue in our
OpenJDK-based runtime.

As you've mentioned, the problem is that
JRSFontCreateFallbackFontForCharacters returns fallback font, which is not
on
the cascaded font list, and it can be absent even in the whole list of fonts
reported by the system. On my machine, with OpenJDK, it's .GeezaProInterface
(with name starting with dot). I guess such fonts are treated by macOS as
'hidden' (just like files with names starting with dots), still they seem
to be
usable from application if requested by their name.

As JRSFontCreateFallbackFontForCharacters is a 'black box', it's hard to
make
sure cascade list we're building matches its internal logic, so we've
chosen to
build the list dynamically based on the output of
JRSFontCreateFallbackFontForCharacters itself. I can try to prepare
corresponding webrev, if you think that can be useful.

Alternative solution (and, probably, a better one strategically), would be
not
using JRSFontCreateFallbackFontForCharacters at all. The cascade list, that
is
built currently, can probably be used to perform font fallback in all cases.

Best regards,
Dmitry Batrak