[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <Swing Dev> <Sound Dev> [9] Review Request: 8180326 Update the tables in java.desktop to be HTML-5 friendly

Sergey Bylokhov sergey.bylokhov at oracle.com
Wed Jun 7 17:52:57 UTC 2017

Hi, Alexander.
These closing tags are optional in html5 standard [1]. On the link to the SO there are three the example which work differently but according standards[2][3][4].

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/syntax.html#syntax-tag-omission

[2] http://jsfiddle.net/robertc/rNv93/1/
[3] http://jsfiddle.net/UqzEp/2/
[4] http://jsfiddle.net/UqzEp/3/

----- alexander.zvegintsev at oracle.com wrote:

Hi Sergey,

Why do we omitting closing th tag?

e.g.

I know that HTML parsers are usually forgiving such things. But sometimes it may make thing worse:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7125354/what-are-the-actual-problems-of-not-closing-tags-and-attributes-in-html/7135378#7135378

Thanks,
Alexander.
> On 05/06/2017 06:23, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:

If there are no objections I'll change the target ws from dev to client, to minimize the merges between some other javadoc fixes.

----- sergey.bylokhov at oracle.com wrote:

Hello.
Here is an updated version where most of the caption are visible.
Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8180326 Webrev can be found at: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8180326/webrev.02/ Specdiff: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8180326/specdiff.02/overview-summary.html You can use search to check the changes in some specific class:
Old docs: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8180326/api_old.02/overview-summary.html New docs: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8180326/api.02/overview-summary.html ----- jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com wrote:

Phil,

I have no evidence one way or the other whether screen readers pay
attention
to undisplayed or invisible captions. It seemed safest to assume that

they would
read a visible caption, and that we should head in that general
direction.

-- Jon