[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] Review request for 8167102: [macosx] PrintRequestAttributeSet breaks page size set using PageFormat

Prasanta Sadhukhan prasanta.sadhukhan at oracle.com
Wed Mar 22 04:42:10 UTC 2017

Hi Anton,

I thought about your point and have a question: does this issue not
reproduce in non-mac platform?
I thought it probably would so suggested modifying setAttributes() .
But, if it is only reproduced in mac, we need to find out why despite
this setAttributes() flaw, how this is working in non-mac platform?

It probably might work in windows/linux because in
RasterPrinterJob.print(attr) method, after it calls setAttributes(), it
calls printPage() where it gets the original PageFormat
by calling getPageFormat(pageIndex) and gets the orientation, imageablearea
and not by constructing pageFormat from attributes as it is done in mac.
So, probably, in mac also, we need to do away with
getPageFormatFromAttributes() call  and call getPageFormat(pageIndex)
from CPrinterJob.m#javaPrinterJobToNSPrintInfo().

Regards
Prasanta
On 3/21/2017 8:15 PM, Anton Litvinov wrote:
> [...]
> "RasterPrinterJob.getPageFormatFromAttributes()", because it is
> invoked only from 1 place in JDK code and this place is located in OS
> X specific code
> "jdk/src/java.desktop/macosx/native/libawt_lwawt/awt/CPrinterJob.m",
> so that would automatically minimize the affected by the fix platforms
> to OS X only.
>
> Starting to work on implementation of the second version of the fix
> including the regression test.
>
> Thank you,
> Anton
>
> On 3/21/2017 12:52 PM, Prasanta Sadhukhan wrote:
>>
>> I think the real problem is not in
>> RasterPrinterJob.getPageFormatFromAttributes().
>>
>> One can see that, when we call RasterPrinterJob.setPrintable(), we
>> call updatePageAttributes() which in turn calls
>> updateAttributesWithPageFormat() where orientation, media and
>> mediaprintablearea "attributes" get populated/cached from the
>> "pageformat" supplied by the user.
>>
>> But, when PrinterJob.print(PrintRequestAttributeSet) is called, it
>> calls setAttributes(attributes) where "attributes" is what is
>> populated by the user. It does not contain orientation,media and
>> mediaprintablearea attributes for this bug, so setAttributes sets
>> cached attribute with this user-set attribute instance
>> />>else {//
>> //>>            // for AWT where pageable is not an instance of
>> OpenBook,//
>> //>>            // we need to save paper info//
>> // >>           this.attributes = attributes;//
>> // >>       }//
>> /
>>
>> //thereby losing the attributes it has cached earlier from user
>> pageformat. I think we should check if this.attributes is not null,
>> then retain those attributes unless explicitly set by the user in
>> user-defined attributes.
>>
>> But, this code is used by windows,linux,mac so it needs to be tested
>> against all those platforms to ensure we are not regressing anything.
>>
>> Also, I think user should call validatePage(PageFormat) in
>> application to check if the settings passed is compatible with the
>> printer or not, get compatible/adjusted pageformat and call
>> setPrintable() with that "adjusted" pageformat. If user pass
>> 0,0,fullpaperwidth,fullpaperheight as imageablearea, then he should
>> not expect this setting to be used since printer will have its own
>> hardware limitation (and use some offset printing)
>>
>> BTW, a regression testcase (even if it is manual) should be created
>> with the fix.
>>
>> Regards
>> Prasanta
>> On 3/17/2017 10:59 PM, Anton Litvinov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Could you please review the following fix for the bug.

>>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alitvinov/8167102/jdk9/webrev.00
>>>
>>> The bug consists in the fact that, if the user's application
>>> specifies the required page size (media size) through
>>> "java.awt.print.PrinterJob" API particularly via
>>> "java.awt.print.PageFormat" instance supplied to the method
>>> "PrinterJob.setPrintable(Printable, PageFormat)" and calls
>>> "PrinterJob.print(PrintRequestAttributeSet)" with
>>> "javax.print.attribute.PrintRequestAttributeSet" containing at least
>>> 1 any "PrintRequestAttribute", then the page or pages will be
>>> printed with "PageFormat" describing the default page size of the