[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] JDK-8153732 Add refresh prossibility for known printers

Patrick Reinhart patrick at reini.net
Sat Oct 28 21:05:32 UTC 2017

Hi Philip,

In advance, thanks for your quick response!

Am 28.10.2017 um 21:01 schrieb Philip Race:
> Hi,
> I think this is the issue you raised last year in this thread, correct ?
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/2d-dev/2016-May/006897.html
Yes, that is correct.

> And the problem is that even though we use the Windows APIs to be
> notified of a change
> in printers, for whatever reason (did we discuss the reasons ?, I
> don't see a reference but
> I think we must have .. ) it is not informing us of changes of remote
> printers, only local ones.

Exactly, the Windows API that is currently in use does only notify
changes within local printers.
And at the time I raised the issue, there was still code for pre Windows
2000 used. That seems
not be able to catch also changes for remote printers added/removed.

We were searching for an alternative Windows API to achieve this
behaviour, at that time but we
did not found any with support for that need.

> So you would like an API that will refresh the list without any
> knowledge of whether it
> is actually needed .. but you (somehow) will decide what is a
> reasonable policy for that.
That's correct. Our use case is basically that if we need to add/remove
a printer during the
business hours (could be one of those needed printing delivery papers or
so) And for this reason
a manual refresh would be triggered in order to get access for the newly
added printer.

If there is a way to get the current implementation to be notified by
Windows API, then it would
be of course OK too.
But it would seem better if possible for Windows to tell us about the
update.

> I've re-read the docs for FindFirstPrinterChangeNotification
> at
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd162722(v=vs.85).aspx
> and I wonder if we just need to include : PRINTER_CHANGE_SERVER in the
> bitfield ?

Hmm, that could possibly be. I have to say that I do not know if that is
correct. Also I'm not that
familiar with the Windows side of it. But I could certainly try out a
build containing that change
to see if that would work.

> The docs there say it is Windows 7 .. and I see a list of unsupported
> versions here :
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc244870.aspx#Appendix_A_139
> which includes WIndows Server 2008 .. but perhaps anything later than
> that will be fine.
>
> However the docs are very light on explaining what this bit actually
> means !
> So I am kind of just hoping/guessing here.

That was also our impression, when we were searching for a potential
solution. But as I said
before, I would be happy to test that part of it. Also if that would
need an installation prior
Windows Server 2008 or (I'm guessing here) Windows 10 would be also OK
in our case, because
the affected customers already use Windows Server 2012.

> What I see at
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14054935/im-getting-duplicated-print-job-on-windows-7-client-machine-for-shared-printer
> suggests it might even be triggered for a Print Job arriving at the
> server which is NOT what
> we'd want to hear about.
>
> So can you add anything about your config etc and remind me if you
> filed a bug/rfe on this ?

The problem behaviour is the same as described in JDK-4744405 just using
an Network Printer
instead of an local one. I can raise an Bug for it next Monday as soon I
got hold to our bug
tracking system.

Cheers

Patrick