[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: JDK-8198844 Clean up GensrcX11Wrappers

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Mon Mar 5 22:38:18 UTC 2018

 >I'm not sure what role the "verification" step we had before ever played.
 >For all the years we've been "verifying" this, we've detected no
differences.

I think this is useful in the event that you make some changes and
regenerate the 64 bit sizes but not 32 bit.

For example this old bug similarly reported a breakage on Solaris ..

... back in the day when we only had that checked in and the ones used
for Linux
were being generated on the fly. My reading of the history here is
sizes.32 and sizes.64
were added to support cross-compilation, and the verification step meant
that  all
architectures would get checked in some build or other.

We care less about 32 bit now .. and even the cross-compilation .. so
arguably
we could go back to always generating the files, as was the case for
Linux before

But if we say we still want to keep around the possibility of 32 bit
support AND
cross-compilation, then the verification step still seems useful.

If we say we care only about 32 bit or do not care about cross
compilation, then
why not get rid of the checked in file and calculate these every build ?

The clean up of removing the solaris specific seems like it could have been
done a long time ago .. I am not sure why was ever only this one case there.
I'd have to dig back a very long way.

I do agree we do not need to support 32 + 64 bit concurrently, that went
away when 64 bit solaris overlay on 32 bit was dropped.

-phil.