[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: JDK-8198844 Clean up GensrcX11Wrappers

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Mon Mar 5 23:30:49 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-05 23:38, Phil Race wrote:
> >I'm not sure what role the "verification" step we had before ever
> played.
> >For all the years we've been "verifying" this, we've detected no
> differences.
>
> I think this is useful in the event that you make some changes and
> regenerate the 64 bit sizes but not 32 bit.
That's a good point. I should add a warning message when regenerating
the checked-in data files that you need to regenerate the files on both
32 and 64 bit platforms.

> For example this old bug similarly reported a breakage on Solaris ..
>
> ... back in the day when we only had that checked in and the ones used
> for Linux
> were being generated on the fly. My reading of the history here is
> sizes.32 and sizes.64
> were added to support cross-compilation, and the verification step
> meant that  all
> architectures would get checked in some build or other.

I'd rather say that it was at this time that we stopped run-time
generation of the X11 size data. The "verification" step was there more
like a comfort thing for the build team, since we was too conservative.

> The clean up of removing the solaris specific seems like it could have
> been
> done a long time ago .. I am not sure why was ever only this one case
> there.
> I'd have to dig back a very long way.
>
> I do agree we do not need to support 32 + 64 bit concurrently, that went
> away when 64 bit solaris overlay on 32 bit was dropped.

Thank you.

Updated webrev with warning message about updating for all platforms:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8198844-clean-up-GensrcX11Wrappers/webrev.03

(Only UpdateX11Wrappers.gmk has changed)

/Magnus