[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [12] RFR JDK-8211795: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in PNGImageReader after JDK-6788458

Jayathirth D V jayathirth.d.v at oracle.com
Wed Nov 14 07:38:57 UTC 2018

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for the review.

As you pointed out, yes the AIOOB is happening for ps[b]. I have updated the analysis in JBS bug also.

Basically the calculation of numBands is not proper because we take numBands value from destination image. This destination image will have extra alpha channel for Gray or RGB input data(ps[]) which will throw AIOOB.

So we need to update the logic of how we calculate numBands different for PNG Gray/RGB image havng tRNS chunk. Fortunately, webrev.00 is actually doing this job.

Regarding whether we need to change scale array logic : We expect first 3 channel to be RGB and first channel to be Gray for PNG_COLOR_RGB and PNG_COLOR_GRAY respectively. So just updating numBands information will create proper scale array. So there is no need to change the scale array logic.

History JDK-6788458 : Toolkit was able to show transparent color information for RGB/Gray PNG image when it has tRNS chunk, but ImageIO didn't support it. To use tRNS data and show transparent color in output image we needed to add extra alpha channel for PNG RGB/Gray image with tRNS chunk. But fix present in JDK-6788458 didn't handle the case where bitDepth adjustment is needed and we are using band information from output image(having extra alpha channel) on input image which has no alpha channel. Change in numBands logic for this bug fixes that issue.

Thanks,
Jay