[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR(XS): 8213944: Fix AIX build after the removal of Xrandr.h and add a configure check for it

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Tue Nov 20 11:05:13 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-19 18:56, Volker Simonis wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> I'd like to kindly ask you to suggest how we can proceed with this issue.
>
> As I wrote before, Xrandr is not officially supported on AIX and there
> are no official packages available for it. There are some OpenSource
> sites for AIX which provide Xrandr, but they are all not compatible
> with the default native libraries (e.g. the open source Xrandr package
> depends on another open source package of Xrender.so.1 but the system
> only provides Xrender.so.0 natively). We can't compile the whole JDK
> (i.e. libawt_xawt.so) against some open source package of Xrender.so.1
> because that simply won't be available on the majority of systems.
>
> Remember that forcing people to install these open-source packages
> even as a build dependency is like expecting Linux users to install
> some non-official packages just to be able to build. Especially in
> corporate environments that's not easy. Moreover the benefit would be
> really minimal, because the Xrandr functionality won't be available at
> runtime anyway.
>
> So to cut a long story short, I see two options:
>
> 1. Go with my current patch (ugly but efficient)
>
> 2. Check-in in an AIX specific version of XRander.h/randr.h under
> src/java.desktop/aix (OK for me, but that would actually negate the
> initial purpose of "8210863: Remove Xrandr include files")
>
> Do you have a better proposal?
I think the change look good, and I vote for strategy 1. As Thomas
suggested, if the AIX ifdefs look bad we can create a new define, but
I'm not sure that's really helpful - after all, it's just on AIX we
currently have no r&r. Having a define would mostly be needed if it was
multiple OSes, or similar more complex situations, that would have/not
have the r&r extension.

Yet another solution, to get rid of the ifdefs, is to move the relevant
Xranrd dependent functions into a new, separate file, like
awt_GraphicsEnv_randr.c, and then in the build exclude it on AIX (or,
perhaps if it's worth the trouble, on all platforms where configure did
not find Xrandr).

/Magnus