[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [13] Review Request: 8216592 Drop of sun.awt.AWTSecurityManager class

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Wed Jan 30 20:52:08 UTC 2019

The synopsis - which I rephrased for better English, turns out to still
not represent most of what is happening here. The synopsis would
make one think this is mostly about removing an unused abstract class
and the font changes are a foot note to that. In fact this is MOSTLY
about removing per-appcontext code in the font code - code which
just asked for an appcontext and had no direct relationship with the
AWTSecurityManager class except to check for it in a one time call as a
cheap way
of knowing we needed to be prepared to check for multiple contexts.
If you are removing AWTSecurityManager, the logical thing would be
to find another way to see if it is multiple appcontexts, not remove all
the code
that handles such a case.
In other words there is an extrapolation here from "AWTSecurityManager
is gone"
to "multiple appcontexts are gone" which happens to be true, but does not
logically follow.

So I thought I was reviewing one thing and it turns out to be quite
different
and better summarised as :
"Remove multiple appcontext support from the font code because
AWTSecurityManager is being removed"
The removal of AWTSecurityManager is < 10% of this change ..

Alternatively everything changed in the font code could have been
handled with this :-

private static boolean maybeMultiAppContext() { // Do we have multiple
app contexts any more ? // Or do we need a new way to check for multiple
app contexts ? // If not, can we remove this code + its downstream
dependencies too in a separate fix ? return false; } Are there any tests
that are also obsoleted ? I am approving this change (modulo the answer
about tests) since the end result will be the same but personally I
would have split it into an AWT bug and a 2D bug each with an
appropriate synopsis.

-phil.