[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 7183828 Invalid Image Variant when using anything other than BufferedImage

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Wed Aug 26 23:11:52 UTC 2020

On 26.08.2020 11:27, Philip Race wrote:
> Can you please add an evaluation to the bug report explaining what you intend to do.

Will do.

> The submitter of that bug was clearly hoping that we'd support custom Image subclasses
> and this fix just changes the behaviour from an IAE (or similar) to silently ignoring them.
> I'm not sure what benefit there is there. It just means that people will be more puzzled
> as to what is going on than before.

After the fix, we will start to support them to some degree. The drawImage spec does not have
any exceptions, this method can only report is the pixels were completly pushed to the
destination or nor. After the fix we will report "false" for any unsupported types of images.
The new behavior will be similar to the ToolkitImage case, when the image is not loaded yet.

> Also now we have more checks for specific known image types.
> VolatileImage is an abstract class and I'm surprised that this is something this fix
> considers OK for subclasses to extend. Does that really work ?

This is a good question I'll double-check that.

--
Best regards, Sergey.