[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8255387: Japanese characters were printed upside down on AIX [v3]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.java.net
Tue Dec 1 17:37:00 UTC 2020

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 17:27:58 GMT, Phil Race <prr at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Toshio Nakamura has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Checking horizontal mirror case
>
> Marked as reviewed by prr (Reviewer).

Approved.
Whilst the fix looks reasonable and important for on-screen, I am surprised it was an issue when printing.
At *printer resolution* it is really surprising that there are any bitmaps for the glyphs.
We should be talking about a 300 dpi printer minimum these days and so we should be requesting at least 50 pixel
high text for even 12pt nomimal size. Fonts usually don't have bitmaps at that size because they are large  and less important.
So I am not sure under what circumstances you saw it.

Secondly, I think that unless we were going down the raster path (which I think you said we were) that we normally explicitly used filled shapes for CJK.