[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: JDK-8241463 Move build tools to respective modules

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Mon Mar 23 20:19:13 UTC 2020

Hi Magnus,

Modularizing the build tools is a good move.    This patch suggests to
place the build tools under
     src/$MODULE/share/tools/$PACKAGE/*.java

I think the modular source location of the build tools needs more
discussion, including jigsaw-dev for this discussion.

The JDK source as specified in JEP 201 is under:
     src/$MODULE/{share,$OS}/classes/$PACKAGE/*.java

Compiling the source files from the `src` directory are the intermediate
input to build the resulting image.    Build tools are used to generate
additional intermediate input (that is not part of the `src` directory)
to build the image.   So I wonder if make/$MODULE/share/tools or
make/tools/$MODULE  may be better location for the build tools.

Mandy