[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8263893: getPrinterNames() leaks nameArray if Java String allocation fails

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.java.net
Wed Mar 24 20:16:41 UTC 2021

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 22:31:48 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> If `JNU_NewStringPlatform` fails to allocate new Java String object for printer name, `std::bad_alloc` is thrown. The handler for the exception does not release the local reference to the `nameArray`, thus it will be leaked.
>
> src/java.desktop/windows/native/libawt/windows/WPrinterJob.cpp line 178:
>
>> 176:     } catch (std::bad_alloc&) {
>> 177:         delete [] pPrinterEnum;
>> 178:         if (nameArray != NULL) {
>
> Not sure that we usually clean the local refs in the native JNI methods, that only required in the native loop which are never returned to the java(I have check that by the grep of env->NewObjectArray)

You're right. It's not required: all local refs are cleared when the JNI method exits.
My reasoning was that `env->DeleteLocalRef(utf_str)` is called in the loop. Strictly, it's not required either. Yet if there's a large number of elements in the array, it could cause a problem.

I'm going to withdraw the PR as the fix is not necessary.