[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8264475: CopyArea ignores clip state in metal rendering pipeline

Ajit Ghaisas aghaisas at openjdk.java.net
Wed Mar 31 12:43:17 UTC 2021

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 07:27:45 GMT, Jayathirth D V <jdv at openjdk.org> wrote:

> In MTLBlitLoops.copyArea() we use standalone encoder which has no clip state information because of which we ignore clip parameters set in rect clip and shape clip. We need to query and use encoders from EncoderManager to honour clip states in copyArea.

I tested this fix. No regressions were observed.

Using MTLBlitCommandEncoder is intuitive when metal resource copying needs to be done.
I suggest to add a comment (may be as a method description or in code where we do the actual copy) to mention why we use MTLRenderCommandEncoder and not MTLBlitCommandEncoder.