[aarch64-port-dev ] jdk11 fastdebug seems to have slowed down.

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 16:23:02 UTC 2018

Hi Dave,

On 01/08/18 16:53, Dave Nuechterlein wrote:
> I have traced the difference down to
> src/hotspot/share/code/compiledMethod.hpp.  The
> PcDescContainer::find_pc_desc_internal seems to be doing a lot of
> searching of long lists.
>
> This obviously might not be a Aarch64 port issue, but rather a
> hotspot issue.  If anyone here has any experience with the whole
> PcDescContainer, or has seen fastdebug execution times escalating, I
> would appreciate getting any kind of help.  The PcDescContainer
> appears to be some way for a method to understand its calling
> hierarchy.

Yes, a PcDesc is used to translate a JITted code location to a bytecode
location and, from there, potentially to a source code line. It is
needed in order to generate correct stack traces.

PcDesc entries can also be used to associate line numbers with arbitrary
JITted code but there is no guarantee that there will be a useful PcDesc
that you can reliably associate with any given JITted PC. Safepoints,
call locations, exception throw points and traps should be mapped. Other
locations may not have an associated PcDesc and searching (forwards or
backwards) for the nearest one to a given pc address may or may not land
you at a related source line.

If you are seeing a slow down because of long searches of PcDesc lists
then this suggests that at some point someone has added more PcDesc
entries. I don't recall seeing any change go in that might have led to
this but perhaps the hotspot-compiler or runtime devs (in CC) might know
of one. What was the jdk release you are comparing against where this
slowdown did not show?

regards,

Andrew Dinn