OpenJDK or Adoption Group as an official Google Summer of Code organisation

dalibor topic dalibor.topic at oracle.com
Wed Feb 12 03:09:17 PST 2014

On 10.02.2014 15:05, Mario Torre wrote:
> My ideal organisation workflow would be the following:
>
> 1. GB grants privileges :)
> 2. Adoption takes charges of the project and handling of the GSoC
> program on behalf of GB
> 2a. Adoption decides tasks and project proposals (they may come from
> students too), reviews students and follow accepted projects
> 3. if any of the projects complete successfully, and is applicable,
> Adoption start the necessary arrangement in order to merge or "upstream"
> the selected projects. Of course, this will then go the usual way.
>
> What do you think?

It lacks step 0: do the research. I expect that would take a few weeks
at least, given the wealth of poorly structured information. ;)

I assume that under 'takes charge' in point 2 you mean the
administrative part, rather than the mentoring part.

Having this Group decide on acceptable tasks and proposals would make
sense if and only if it limited itself to Projects it has very active
multiple Committers & Reviewers on, i.e. if it has the necessary
experience and expertise to judge what a new student could reasonably be
expected to accomplish in a given time frame in light of the planned and
ongoing development of the given Projects.

A better approach might be to collect input on tasks from Project Leads,
rank them, and present them to the Governing Board for their approval.

Having this Group review (and fail fast, for example, as that's what
reviews are about) students would also make little sense, unless it was
actively involved with mentoring them, which implies active Committers
and Reviewers on Projects where students are being mentored.

In other words, I don't expect this Group as a Group to have the
necessary expertise to fail or pass a student working on, say, a PDP11
Port. Figuratively speaking, of course - if you are a PDP 11 assembly
expert, just imagine I picked some other old configuration, like
m68k-a/ux ;)

That also consequentially means that merging is not a concern that this
Group needs to have or can meaningfully contribute to as a Group - it
would be a mentor's and student's decision, whether to start that
process, and in conjunction with a given Project's Reviewers & Lead how
to go best about it.

For some mildly related self reflection, and the huge commitment
necessary to pull a successful summer of code off, see
https://groups.drupal.org/node/293088 and the comments. In particular
the comments.

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment