Providing 'hsdis' binaries not possible because of GPLv2/GPLv3 license clash

dalibor topic dalibor.topic at oracle.com
Mon Jun 1 16:35:23 UTC 2015

On 28.05.2015 16:01, Volker Simonis wrote:
> Chris has pointed out a real problem of the current project: it is not
> possible to provide binaries of a part of the project (i.e. 'hsdis')
> because of licensing issues.

Hi Volker,

I appreciate your concern here, and accordingly spent some time doing a
bit of research over the weekend.

As far as I understand, the third party library in question has been
traditionally distributed under a license arrangement very similar to
that of hsdis. While I understand that at some point in time the vendor
of that third party library changed their license preference for future
releases, I have not been able to deduce from this thread why that
change of preference makes it impossible to use an older release of that
library published under a similar license arrangement to hsdis for your
purpose.

Better understanding this would help with the justification of the
relicensing request as it appears on the surface that the status quo is
if not fine, then at most mildly inconvenient.

> @Chris: reimplementing  the hsdis functionality is probably the most
> pragmatic solution but I'd rather like to avoid code duplication here
> to avoid problems with different incompatible version in the future.

Fwiw, I think LLVM MC might be (more?) interesting to consider in that
regard in general. [0]

cheers,
dalibor topic

[0] http://blog.llvm.org/2010/01/x86-disassembler.html
--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

Oracle | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg
<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment