Producing community binaries for OpenJDK

Martijn Verburg martijnverburg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 14:30:17 UTC 2017

Hi Mario,

Yes the intention is to provide binaries and hardware access for all
of the major platforms which can be used for:

* R&D purposes
* A basis for vendors to build on
* Something that end users can tinker with
* A place to try out build infra ideas that might one day be promoted
to OpenJDK proper

We'll start with jdk8u (with jtreg tests and jcov results) and then
later on add jdk9, jdk10 and other interesting forests (valhalla,
shenandoah, that sort of thing).

Although we will be making the binaries to the highest quality
possible via jtreg, jcov test coverage and possibly other donated test
suites it is It is *not* the intention that the binaries produced will
be professionally supported.

A key idea is that the entirety of the build infrastructure (servers,
build scripts etc) will be open and auditable so that end users can
know exactly how a binary was built.

We currently have Linux x64 and Mac OS X and are looking to rapidly
add the other common Linux variants + Windoze and Solaris.  I imagine
some strong collaboration can form here with IcedTea and other
efforts!

We're still working on the publicizing of the slack channel so there's
nothing hidden and I've got an About page to throw up but then the
strawman prototype is ready to be looked at and we can organise a
Google hangout or similar for the core people behind the Docker /
script and website work to explain how it all hangs together.

Cheers,
Martijn