TestNG build failing when built using latest JDK9

dalibor topic dalibor.topic at oracle.com
Tue Mar 28 14:15:59 UTC 2017

Yeah, but the latest build attempt fails in an entirely different way:

https://adopt-openjdk.ci.cloudbees.com/job/TestNG/lastBuild/console

That suggests that the problem is with the environment, for example, or
its configuration. Let me elaborate:

Just running CI jobs in the cloud is perfectly pointless if you don't
control all but one of the variables.

In this case, the person responsible for this particular CI job seems to
have set it up to build TestNG off a github tip, giving you one degree
of variance you can't control, while at the same time also trying to
build that with whatever is the latest JDK 9 EA build, giving you
another degree of variance you can't control.

So instead of being able to have a way to reproduce and analyze issues,
by being able to do a before/after comparison with a single degree of
variance, you have a bit of a mess where almost anything can happen from
build to build, and it gets incredibly hard to figure out what changed
because you have more than one degree of freedom.

It's like doing causality analysis on a Dr Who episode involving time
travel and multiverses ;)

So instead, my suggestion would be to configure it to only have one
degree of freedom, while you control for the rest. If that's JDK 9 EA
builds, then you must keep everything else static, and think hard about
when to upgrade what release of dependencies, and how to deal with the
additional variance that introduces.

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961