deduplicating lambda methods

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Mon Mar 5 11:37:46 UTC 2018

The overall plan seems pretty solid; thanks for looking into this. As
for (1), I think comparing bytecodes would be simpler from a technical
perspective, as there's less fuzziness about it - you just compare the
stream of bytecodes and, if they are the same, deduplicate. But it's
more a problem for our compiler which happens to be very AST centric, so
lots of passes are described in terms of AST manipulations, not bytecode
ones - which I think means that this one should be AST-based too.

As Brian mentioned, I would start simple, by ignoring edge cases such as
serializable lambdas and/or deduplicating in the presence of debugging info.

One question I have for the VM gurus: how does deduplication affect JIT
optimizations? E.g. assume we have two lambdas used in two very
different way in the same source file, which happen to share the same
code - e.g. something like:

Object o -> { if (o instanceof String) { System.err.println("Hello!"); }

one use site always calls it with a string parameter, another always
calls it with an int parameter.

Now, with indy, I believe we can still optimize them fully, given that
indy has some knowledge/state about the site making the call, so the two
call won't be treated as 'identical' by the JIT and the profiling info
won't be merged (I guess). But what if, someday, we were to replace indy
with condy here? Would we lose performances?

Cheers
Maurizio