deduplicating lambda methods

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sat Mar 17 19:00:36 UTC 2018

>> I don't think we want to be duplicating the constant folding logic in
>> multiple places, but I also don't think we have to -- doesn't L2M run
>> after constant folding already?  I ask because I've already seen
>> constant propagation turn capturing lambdas into noncapturing.
>
> I don't think we need to duplicate the constant folding logic for
> this, I just think that the hasher and the differ should be blind
> regarding the substructure of a tree as soon as a constant is found,
> be it in a variable or as the constant value of a tree. Liam has a
> good point, if our new constant folding phase were rewriting the trees
> then the differ and the hasher he is proposing would have this for
> free. I guess that this is a use case that can make us consider doing
> tree rewriting as part of the new constant folding phase, but we are
> not doing it right now, only for some trees: basically ldc() indy()
> and condys. That's why I was saying that considering constants in the
> tree differ / hasher could wait and that it don't have to be part of
> this patch.

When you say blind, obviously it has to take the constants into account,
since x -> x+2 and x->x+3 are different lambdas.  I think for now, not
trying to do anything special here is the right move; this could
conceivably fail to deduplicate x -> x + 2  and x -> x + TWO  when TWO
is a static final, but that's an acceptable loss, since deduplication is
merely optimistic.